Saturday, February 19, 2011

Garden 2011

Well, it's February and I have been busy planning the garden since the day after Christmas when I got my first gardening catalog of the season!  In January, I started some seeds- celery, oregano, mint, parsley, italian parsley, and thyme.  So far, only the celery sprouted and one little mint sprout is peeking out.

The weather has been fantastic!  Hard to believe that a week ago the ground was covered in snow!  We had a couple a big storms, then the temperatures warmed up and we've been in the 70s for about 4 days now.

I went to Atwoods and bought a small greenhouse for $20.  It is basically a 4 shelf stand with a plastic covering, but it's something.  I've bought some seeds for this year, but I'm mainly going to use last year's leftover seed.  I attended a gardening class on the 15th at the county's Ag Extension office.  It was very informative and I enjoyed it very much.  The class was free and if they offer any in your area I would recommend taking one.

I bought some onion sets and potatoes.  Come to find out that I've been planting too late in the season the last two years.  I should have been starting earlier.  Going to rectify that this year!  Today, I am starting brussel sprouts, cabbage, kohlrabi and broccoli.  Pictures to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment