Friday, April 9, 2010

Back to work__Late March 2010

Once the snow had all melted, we needed to get back to work.  We wanted to put landscape fabric down under the wood chips that form the walkways between the raised beds.  BUT pesky wasps kept us ducking for cover (and in my case, running).  Now I don't mind a couple of wasps here and there, but this was an all-out infestation.  The Oklahoma red paper wasps (supposedly very aggressive) took up residence in one of the sheds.

Spraying them has helped a little.

Main Garden
Johnathan and Dad took a trip to the McAlester Municipal Landfill where we were able to get wood chips for the walkways.  Johnathan built one of the three big boxes, so we put it out there when the chips were laid down.  The tires will be planters for watermelons and pumpkins.  I think it's a great way to recycle.



We have started getting soil, compost and peat moss.  I am having the hardest time finding vermiculite for a reasonable price.  I've called everywhere in a 100 mile radius.  We might try to use coarse sand and/or lava rock as a substitute.  I don't want to though...

Johnathan is still building boxes.  He builds them in the garage and we walk it out to the garden.  


We planted onions and garlic in peat pots to get them growing before we put them in the bed.  


I've been tending the seedlings and buying some plants.


And here's our visitor...

Erin got a big kick out of seeing a frog.  How he got up on the table and into the box I don't know!


Hanging Tomato Plants
The two upside-down plants are doing okay.  As I said before, I wanted to try to grow three out the sides of a bucket like the new product they are offering.  Here's what the 1st bucket turned out like

Kitchen Bed
I planted the asparagus crowns in the kitchen bed so they won't be disturbed at the end of the season.  






No comments:

Post a Comment